Saturday, July 23, 2011

Felder's learning styles

INDEX OF LEARNING STYLES (ILS)

http://www4.ncsu.edu/unity/lockers/users/f/felder/public/ILSpage.html

I am a 9 in reflective, on the Active/Reflective scale.

This actually surprised me because I do like to be active in my learning. I guess I just prefer to think about it first. I don’t like to jump in when I don’t know what I’m doing. I found that when I was living in Norway and learning the language. I didn’t talk much until I knew the words and could form a complete sentence. I do also like to read instructions and make sure I know what I need to do before, say, putting together flat pack furniture!

I know I need time in class to reflect and think about things. Go too fast and ask me a question, I can’t think fast enough. Exams are terrible because there is never enough time to think and work through things.

Active learners on the other hand would get bored with sitting in lectures, or with being given too much time to think without doing anything physical. So a mix of both would be best in lessons. Online learning, however, allows students to take their time if they are reflective, so having some activities is not so bad, so long as there are not so many that reflective learners get a bit overwhelmed by how many things, or how much there is to do.

I am a 7 in sensing, on the Sensing/Intuitive scale.

This does make sense to me as I do like working through things very methodically. Although I prefer that method, I am still open to new ways, especially if it means improvements. These, however, might have to have some factual base to back them up, rather than being completely out of the blue.

In learning, then, it would not be good to do a lot of repetitive activities, such as tutorial sheets with many of the same questions, nor would it be good to just involve a few experiments for exploring new ideas. There would need to be a combination of both. If question sheets are put into online courses, then enough could be put up to satisfy the sensing, but with emphasis that they are not compulsory, so the intuitive don’t get bored. Also in the mix, a number of ‘think outside the box’ experiments or activities.

I am a 9 in visual, on the Visual/Verbal scale

Yes, I love graphs and diagrams. I can work thinks out from reading, but it is more difficult, and I often end up drawing a diagram.

For learning, it is quite easy to include both in any course. What is difficult, however, is getting the students to understand the need to diagrams. The first step in most Physics problems is to draw a diagram. Many students don’t take it seriously or draw half a diagram. I find it hard to believe that so many students are not visual. I guess using this quiz would help!

I am a 9 in sequential, on the Sequential/Global scale

I can tell that I like to do things in a logical order. If the information doesn’t show some sort of logic and progression, I do find it hard to follow. I can understand global learners, however, and appreciate the need to a big picture.

So with any course, an overview is essential, and then a logical progression through the material is needed, with a comprehensive summary at the end.



No comments:

Post a Comment